When living or working Off-Grid, resources are vital and waste must be kept to a minimum. This of course rings true with food storage and preservation. To obtain the best return on a DC refrigerator investment, it is vital to understand best practices for optimum food storage and preservation. The advice noted below will offer customers tips to preserve food and keep peak flavor and freshness longer. The correlation of preserving food to save time, money, energy and natural resources is real.
According to the United Nations, as of October 2019, one-third of food produced globally is lost or wasted. This number is even higher in developing countries due to lack of proper refrigeration and other problems with transportation logistics. This is a larger issue beyond this specific article, but these numbers highlight the need for high quality, affordable DC refrigeration products that people living remotely can access globally.
By taking a few precautions using the tips below, customers will be on their way to a much better Off-Grid lifestyle or improved business performance, using the right DC refrigeration solution. Customers can get inspiration from this video and also find more tips here regarding considerations when buying a DC refrigerator. Phocos has been a trusted partner for 20 years. We understand DC refrigeration appliance requirements and customer demands. It is our pleasure to share insights to help consumers and small businesses maximize their resources as it relates to food life and quality, in all parts of the world.
Tips: Individual homesteader (self-sufficient gardener and/or hunter)
- When warm food is put in the refrigerator (from the market or from the garden/field), use the unique BOOST feature for a quick cool down to get to the desired internal temperature faster. The Phocos FR-B Series is the only DC chest refrigerator on the market to offer this valuable option. It is as easy as the flick of a switch to turn this BOOST feature on or off offering maximum convenience.
- Food storage is made simple with food baskets and an understanding of how stratification works for best food storage tactics. Meaning, in a DC chest refrigerator, delicate or high-water content fruits, vegetables or eggs, should be stored in the top section for the best quality and longest storage to maximize the harvest yield. Strategic food placement will result in increased preservation.
- Proper food packaging after initial cooldown is essential to avoid the dehydration effects of refrigeration. This, of course, impacts the quality of food as it relates to taste or texture, so is an important step to keep in mind.
Tips: Small business: agricultural farming, ranching, or fishing
- The inside of the DC chest refrigeration unit must be kept clean between different pickings or food gathering, to assure food safety.
- When cooling any food product down to the correct temperature, it is advised to separate the food on racks or via best practices for your product to leverage your yield. Once the food is at the desired temperature, to assure best quality, it is time to package and organize for efficient use of storage space in the DC chest refrigerator. Storage baskets are included with the Phocos FR-B Series, to help utilize the space effectively.
- A refrigeration plan with a reliable appliance will increase profits and reduce spoilage, extending the selling time of a marketable food product. Selecting the right DC appliance is an important decision a business owner must make.
- The Phocos FR-B Series operates with 12 VDC or 24 VDC, making it ideal for mobile applications for use with farm to market delivery trucks. This is an automatic feature, with all models and can offer value with certain applications. Flexibility to adapt to either voltage in the field has its benefits. This will certainly aid in food quality improvement during transport, so the food can arrive to the consumer in better condition, increasing profits for smallholder farmers, ranchers and fishermen.
- If it is ever required, the FR-B Series has the ability to change from a refrigerator to a freezer at any time, by simply adjusting the temperature setting. This is a feature not common in the industry, making the unit even more flexible to help support a profitable business.
What does this mean to all customers using DC refrigeration
- Keep food safe and fresh longer
- Food will be at the highest quality, so will taste better
- Usable life of the product is extended to potentially increase business profitability or extend personal crop, hunting or fishing yields
- Preventing food waste and spoilage generally reduces the use of resources required for food production (water, labor, environmental impact, transportation costs, natural resources, etc.)
Using an appliance like the Phocos FR-B Series DC Refrigerator/freezer, will help individuals and businesses operate more sustainably. The FR-B Series also uses an environmentally-friendly refrigerant, another factor to think about when choosing the best DC chest refrigerator for your application.
The information above highlights key factors to consider when deciding on refrigerated food storage solutions for homesteaders, small businesses and more. Phocos is proud to service the Off-Grid community. These customers deserve quality solutions that meet the challenges of real-world conditions. When resources are sparce, maximizing food life is a goal everyone can relate to, in every country around the world.
To learn more about DC refrigeration tips and other Off-Grid industry insights, check our blog.
To understand DC Vs. AC refrigeration comparison considerations and money saving opportunities, read this blog article.