Total System Cost Price Comparison –
Refrigeration (AC vs DC)
General Comparison Facts:
- Most DC appliances require less power draw per day
- DC appliances may cost more money, but there is less equipment to buy for the overall system to operate properly, therefore the total system cost is actually less expensive (see example below)
- DC appliances require less equipment and less connections, offering a lower opportunity for failure, and increasing dependable performance
- AC appliances require an inverter to operate. An inverter has a cost and constant draw of power and is not 100% efficient, so more solar and battery capacity are required compared to a DC appliance
- Because fewer batteries are required for DC appliances, the maintenance cost when they need to be replaced is much lower than for an equivalent AC system.
Learn more about the FR-B DC Chest Refrigerator/Freezer here.