Phocos, is a global manufacturer of solar components and Energy Storage solutions for off-grid and edge-of-grid power supplies. With over 20-years of experience, Phocos designs and supplies high-quality power conversion and energy storage solutions that provide reliable power Anywhere, Anytime, Any-GridTM. With over 3 billion people in the world living without access to reliable power, we have work to do, and we want you to join our team to help us provide world-class solutions to meet the world’s growing power demands while contributing to a decarbonized planet.
Phocos is currently seeking an Applications Engineer I to support our global Sales, Support and R&D Teams.
Reporting to the Director of Engineering, the Applications Engineer I is an integral part of the Technical Support team. They are responsible for fielding and resolving technical support inquiries, warranty claims as well as providing internal/external technical training on best practices for proper deployment and utilization of Phocos products. In addition, the Applications Engineer I works in tandem with Sales Managers and key clients to clearly define technical requirements for key accounts and projects, prepares and maintains external and internal specifications documents and works with R&D and production staff to ensure supplied solutions result in 100% customer satisfaction.
- Fields, documents and resolves all customer technical and system design questions for the Americas region.
- Supports the Americas sales staff with system design and product selection questions related to functionality and capability of products
- Represents Phocos at industry association meetings, trade shows, and conferences.
- Delivers internal and external product technical training seminars.
- Writes, reviews and executes tests plans and documents results in formal reporting.
- Collaborates with Sales staff to define product requirements for key clients.
- Prepares Market Requirements Documents (MRD) for new product solutions to capture customer requirements for Product Management and R&D.
- Works with R&D engineers to write Product Requirement Documents (PRD) for new product solutions based on an approved MRD
- Coordinates and assists R&D Engineers in Germany, the US to ensure prompt, accurate product development and delivery.
- Coordinates with Phocos manufacturing facilities and sub-contractors to ensure reliable, efficient production of products.
- Supports the R&D team with preparation of 3D CAD drawings and assembly drawings as part of the R&D process.
- Learns and stays current on all applicable standards related to the use of the company’s products including, but not limited to: National Electric Code (NEC), UL1741, ANSI 12.12.01, SAE J1455/SAEJ400, and IEC 62109.
- Learns and understands best practices for off-grid PV system installation and completes NABCEP PV Technical Sales certification
- Ensures current and future products comply with any and all applicable standards for target applications.
- Strong customer service, presentation and relationship management skills
- Demonstrated aptitude in managing multiple concurrent projects via effective time- and project-management techniques.
- Thorough record-keeping and documentation skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Knowledge of basic electrical theory.
- Demonstrated experience using digital multimeters, DC power-supplies, oscilloscopes, and similar testing equipment.
- Previous experience with THT/SMT soldering a plus.
- Previous experience with 3D CAD modeling a plus.
- Previous experience with power electronics and/or solar applications a plus.
- Refined problem-solving skills.
- Self-motivated, team player.
- Able to work effectively cross-functionally and with other global offices to achieve objectives.
- Occasional overnight travel is required up to 20%
COVID-19 DISCLAIMER: As of the posting date of this position, all company-related travel is postponed until further notice from Phocos management to protect the safety of all Phocos employees and combat the spread of COVID-19.
- Entry Level
- Fluent in English (Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, and/or German a plus)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Engineering, Systems Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Electrical Engineering.