Phocos, is a global manufacturer of solar components and Energy Storage solutions for off-grid and edge-of-grid power supplies. With over 20-years of experience, Phocos designs and supplies high-quality power conversion and energy storage solutions that provide reliable power Anywhere, Anytime, Any-GridTM. With over 3 billion people in the world living without access to reliable power, we have work to do, and we want you to join our team to help us provide world-class solutions to meet the world’s growing power demands while contributing to a decarbonized planet.
Phocos is currently seeking an Applications Engineer to support our global Sales, Support and R&D Teams.
Reporting to the Product Manager, the Applications Engineer is an integral part of the Technical Support team. They are responsible for fielding and resolving technical support inquiries, warranty claims as well as providing internal/external technical training on best practices for proper deployment and utilization of Phocos products. In addition, the Applications Engineer works in tandem with Sales Managers and key clients to clearly define technical requirements for key accounts and projects, prepares and maintains external and internal specifications documents and works with R&D and production staff to ensure supplied solutions result in 100% customer satisfaction.
- Fields, documents and resolves all customer technical and system design questions for the Americas region.
- Supports the Americas sales staff with system design and product selection questions related to functionality and capability of products
- Represents Phocos at industry association meetings, trade shows, and conferences.
- Delivers internal and external product technical training seminars.
- Writes, reviews and executes tests plans and documents results in formal reporting.
- Collaborates with Sales staff to define product requirements for key clients.
- Prepares Market Requirements Documents (MRD) for new product solutions to capture customer requirements for Product Management and R&D.
- Works with R&D engineers to write Product Requirement Documents (PRD) for new product solutions based on an approved MRD
- Coordinates and assists R&D Engineers in Germany, the US to ensure prompt, accurate product development and delivery.
- Coordinates with Phocos manufacturing facilities and sub-contractors to ensure reliable, efficient production of products.
- Supports the R&D team with preparation of 3D CAD drawings and assembly drawings as part of the R&D process.
- Learns and stays current on all applicable standards related to the use of the company’s products including, but not limited to: National Electric Code (NEC), UL1741, ANSI 12.12.01, SAE J1455/SAEJ400, and IEC 62109.
- Learns and understands best practices for off-grid PV system installation and completes NABCEP PV Technical Sales certification
- Ensures current and future products comply with any and all applicable standards for target applications.
- Strong customer service, presentation and relationship management skills
- Demonstrated aptitude in managing multiple concurrent projects via effective time- and project-management techniques.
- Thorough record-keeping and documentation skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Knowledge of basic electrical theory.
- Demonstrated experience using digital multimeters, DC power-supplies, oscilloscopes, and similar testing equipment.
- Previous experience with THT/SMT soldering a plus.
- Previous experience with 3D CAD modeling a plus.
- Previous experience with power electronics and/or solar applications a plus.
- Refined problem-solving skills.
- Self-motivated, team player.
- Able to work effectively cross-functionally and with other global offices to achieve objectives.
- Occasional overnight travel is required up to 20%
COVID-19 DISCLAIMER: As of the posting date of this position, all company-related travel is postponed until further notice from Phocos management to protect the safety of all Phocos employees and combat the spread of COVID-19.
- 1-3 years
- Fluent in English (Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, and/or German a plus)
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Engineering, Systems Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Electrical Engineering.